Most of us are aware of the important job that bees do for the planet, but having bees around our homes can present a bit of danger since they sting. Then there is the problem of how to get rid of a small beehive. Learning how to get rid of bees can come in quite handy for those who want to get out there and tackle the problem themselves.
Below, we are going to talk about why we should find ways to remove bees without killing them, why we should remove bees from around our homes, and six ways to get rid of bees naturally. It’s time to learn how to remove bees so that you can enjoy your yard and home without worry about getting stung.
How to Get Rid of a Small Beehive- Honey Bee Swarms
If you see a swarm of bees near your home, you might be wondering how to kill a beehive. But before you take action against these buzzing insects, you should know that bees are beneficial pollinators. In fact, a large percentage of the fruits and vegetables you eat are made possible by these insects, specifically honey bees.
Outright killing bees is frowned upon by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other organizations working to stop a global decline in honey bee numbers.
The very work of pollination is a wonderfully natural way to maintain our system of food production. We already hear about food shortages and people starving. This problem would be accelerated if there was a decrease in bees. So, do we need bees? Yes. But there are times when we need to be wary of bees.
Why Should You Get Rid of Bees
Allergies to bees:< There are people with allergies to bees so severe that they could die from a simple bee sting. If there is someone in your family with a bee allergy, it is important to do what you can to make sure there are no bees around your home.
Learning how to get rid of a small beehive is knowledge that can save them a visit to the emergency room or even save their lives.
Bee Stings:< Most of us have been stung by a bee at least once in our lives. We can all agree that bee stings hurt. If you have a bee nest or hive near your home, the chance of bee stings greatly increases for you and your family.
Some bee stings are worse than others and sometimes the location of the nest, like in the ground, can increase the chance of multiple bee stings for your children or pets, which may be out playing in the yard.
Aggressive Bees:< Bees can be bad enough when they aren’t feeling aggressive, but sometimes they can amp up and go on the offensive. The reasons why they can become more aggressive include a lack of flowers in the area to pollinate; hot weather, and feeling a need to protect their nest.
The possibility of dealing with bee aggression is an excellent reason to look for ways to get rid of them from your home.
So what should you do if you see beehives in or around your home? Here are six steps to take:
How to Get Rid of a Beehive
1. Give the bees space
When dealing with insects that can sting, it’s always wise to avoid provoking them. Most bee species only sting if they feel their hive or queen are threatened. Keeping your distance decreases the chances of an angry hive.
A swarm of bees will typically gather on a branch, bush, or post ( a doorpost, fence post, etc.), surrounding the queen. Steering clear of this area should reduce the likelihood of stings.
2. Keep pets and people allergic to stings away from bee-infested areas
If the hive or swarm is outside, you should keep your pets, children, and anyone sensitive to insect stings inside, away from the bees. If there is a beehive inside your home, try to isolate the area.
3. Figure out where the bees are coming from
If the hive is located inside your home, try to identify where the bees entered. However, do not attempt to block access to the hive, as this could result in the bees escaping into other areas of your home.
4. Avoid using spray insecticides or traps
It’s tempting to try to spray the hive or attempt to catch the bees inside a trap. Before you do, think about what could go wrong. Bee extermination is difficult for a number of reasons, including the fact that many commonly sold insecticides are banned for use near bees by the EPA. This means that the use of such products on bees is illegal.
5. Call a professional to handle bee removal
If the bees in your yard are honey bees, it’s likely that a local beekeeper may be able to take them off your hands at little to no cost, depending on the location of the hive or swarm. To find out if there are beekeepers in your area.
For other bee species or large indoor hives, getting rid of bees may require consulting a pest management professional.
6. Remove all traces of the hive and repair any damage
If you’ve had beehives taken out of your home or attic, be sure to clean up behind them. Bees in walls or cavities often leave behind honey and other residues that could attract animals and certain insects.
To prevent a larger problem, be sure to get rid of any leftover honeycomb, repair damaged walls, and seal the entry points bees used to get into your home.
How To Get Rid of Bees- Home Remedies
There are numerous ways to get rid of bees naturally. Some of these methods are safe for the environment but kill the bees, while others are safe for both the bees and the environment. Below are six ways to get rid of bees.
- Soda: Bees love sweet liquids. This method involves cutting a soda bottle or can in half and filling it up with a very sweet soda then placing it in an area where you have noticed a lot of bees. The bees will be attracted to the soda and come to drink it.
Note, this method is environmentally friendly but will kill the bees as they will eventually drown in the soda.
- Moth Balls: There are some smells that bees don’t like and mothballs are one of them. To use mothballs, hang them near the bee nest or nests, and eventually, the smell will deter the bees from coming back. You can also hang mothballs in different places around your yard to keep your entire yard bee free.
- Vinegar Spray Solution: Vinegar spray is a great natural way to get the bee out of your yard, as well as simple to make and use. Just mix equal amounts of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, shake and the mixture on the nest when the bees are sleeping, at night, as well as around plants where you tend to see a lot of bees.
This mixture will kill the bees so make sure you remove all of the dead bees.
- Cinnamon: If you find a hive and want the bees to relocate without killing them, consider sprinkling cinnamon around their hive every day for about a week. The smell will send the bees looking for a place to relocate.
- Bee Repelling Plants: A great way to keep bees out of your yard without having to remove them or kill them is to plant bee repelling plants around your home. Having these plants around your home should stop bees from even stopping there. Citronella, Mint, and Eucalyptus plants are good bee repelling plants and easy to grow.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get rid of bees naturally?
Some of the most efficient natural bee repellents are:
2. Garlic powder
5. Bee repelling plant
How do I get rid of ground bees?
For ground bees, you can use:
1. Boiling water
2. A glass jar trap
How do I get rid of carpenter bees?
Carpenter bees are also effective pollinators, so you should remove them instead of killing them. Just like most bees, they do not suffer pungent smells, so you can try vinegar and almond oil mixtures.
By following these steps, you can minimize the risk of being stung and ensure that any bees stopping by your home won’t remain there for long. Beehive removal shouldn’t be a solo endeavor — call an expert if you have questions.
Finally, you understood how to get rid of a Small Beehive so that you can enjoy your yard and home without worry about getting stung.
- How To Glue Rocks To Pond Liner – 5 Easy Steps
- How To Install Landscape Lighting Under Sidewalk – 10 Best Steps
- How To Unload Dirt From A Pickup Truck – 5 Easy Ways
- How To Run A Small Engine Repair Business – 8 easy ways
- How to Build a Trimmer Rack – A Perfect and Easy Guide in 4 Steps
- How to Get Rid of Silver Maple Tree- 2 Easy Steps
- How To Mow After Overseeding – 7 Step By Step Best Guide